13 March 2013

Kung Pow Pixel: 3DS Demos



I got my 3DS some months ago, but haven't been able to afford many games for it. Now with access to Internet once again I've been downloading some demos. So here's some thoughts on those I've played recently.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed


I played Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing on the Xbox 360 quite a lot. I enjoyed the game, but it doesn't change much after your first play through, so I was happy to see while playing the demo that Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (SASRT) seemed a bit more in depth than it's predecessor. In this game your car can transform into a boat and a plane, depending on the area of the track, and this was a lot of fun, although tricky to master the flying parts. This meant that no two laps of a track were the same, as for example, the first time round you drive, the second time round you boat and the third time round you fly.

In SASRT you can also earn experience points with which you can upgrade your car. You can get these points for performing stunts whilst racing, sliding round corners to boost, or using an item to successfully attack a competitor. This hopefully means there will be more reason to play once you've completed all the tracks. This is a game I'd definitely like to get, but whether on the 3DS or on the Xbox 360, I'm not sure yet.

Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion


Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion takes Mickey back to the Castle of Illusion (from Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse released on various Sega consoles in the early 90s), where various toons are trapped. I found this to be a fun little platformer, though very simple. It's also a very wordy game, which, especially for a demo, I found to be a little bit off-putting. I think this is the kind of game I would probably pick up if I saw it for less than £10.

Heroes of Ruin


I had blanked on the fact that this is a Square Enix game when I downloaded it, thinking it was something in the Heroes of Might & Magic series... Anyway, it was pretty fun to play. It's not the typical RPG I'm used to from Square Enix, with a choice of class, a lot more choice for your character's appearance and small choice of quests, it felt like something halfway between a JRPG and a western RPG. I think I would enjoy playing this game and would like to get it sometime.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate


I've admittedly never played a Castlevania game properly before, but I downloaded this demo because I've heard so much about the series. It was quite fun to play, though I found it to be very tough. It looked nice and sounded nice, but I don't have much more to say about this game. I don't think I'll be looking to buy this game any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment